The Heart of the Forest (The Monster of Selkirk #2)
By:C E Clayton
Publisher: Devil Dog Press
Publication Date: October 17th, 2017
Tallis is learning how to deal with loss and violence as she and her friends traverse the forests of Selkirk trying to find the reason behind the elven uprising. Not to mention why they keep hissing her name. But the further into the forests they go, Tallis is finding that the elves’ depravity can still surprise her, and thoroughly test the bonds of friendship, family, and love.
Tallis’s journey eventually leads to answers they’re not prepared for. Now Tallis begins to wonder just who she really is, and if she’s the evil that will end up destroying Selkirk. But she cannot stop to process these revelations, as an unforeseen betrayal lands those she loves at the feet of the very monster responsible for all the hurt, and heartbreak.
Coming face to face with her foe, Tallis discovers all too late she has no idea how to deal with this level of pain, and death. One way or another, the monster’s path ends here, and all Tallis can hope to do is bring those she loves safely out of the heart of the forest.
Tallis has fought a lot of monsters over the course of her six book journey, and some monsters aren’t the traditional kind you would often think of or expect. But here are the top 10 monster’s Tallis has faced, and no worries, I’ll try and keep it a little vague to avoid spoilers in case you haven’t read the later books! The list starts with the “easiest” of her monsters, with #10 being the biggest baddie Tallis has faced!
- A possessed, and rabid, full grown moose (anyone who lives in a region where moose live are familiar with how terrifying this would be lol)
- Feral elves (she does go up against these guys a lot throughout the series, and sometimes she battles more than one at a time)
- A vengeful gladiator
- Human traffickers that dabble in piracy
- A spurned nobles son who had wanted to buy Tallis for a concubine
- A noble willing to do anything (kidnap, bribe, and murder) in order to get the throne
- A horde of mind controlled humans
- A vicious deity within Tallis that yearns to be free and cause mayhem
- A possessed High Priestess of the elves that wants Tallis for a vessel
- A half-elf fanatic determined to become a god and use Tallis’s soul to accomplish his goals
C. E. Clayton was born and raised in the greater Los Angeles area, where she attended the University of Southern California (Fight On!) for both her Bachelors and Masters, and then worked in the advertising industry for several years on accounts ranging from fast food, to cars, and video games (her personal favorite). After going the traditional career route and becoming restless, she went back to her first love–writing–and hasn’t stopped. She is now the author of “The Monster of Selkirk” series and her horror short stories have appeared in anthologies across the country. When she’s not writing you can find her treating her fur-babies like humans, constantly drinking tea, and trying to convince her husband to go to more concerts. And reading. She does read quite a bit. More about C.E. Clayton, including her blog, book reviews, social media presence, and newsletter, can be found on her website: https://www.ceclayton.com/
Find the author:
Disclaimer: The synopsis and cover picture were pulled from the book’s Goodreads page. Neither belong to us. The author image, info, giveaway, and more were provided by Xpresso Book Tours.