By Catrina Burgess
Publisher: Full Fathom Five Digital
Publcation Date: October 7th, 2015
- If you emptied out your purse, wallet, desk drawer, pockets, backpack, beach bag, saddle bag, or fanny pack, what would we find?
I just took a look, and here’s what I found:
(1) Two hair clips and a handful of ponytail holders—I just chopped my hair off a couple weeks ago. Usually when I’m writing or cooking I put my hair up.
(2) Lip gloss – I love the ones shaped like a ball.
(3) Post-it notes – I’m obsessed with Post-it notes. Got to have them. Love them. I post them all over my computer monitor.
(4) Every receipt for things I’ve bought over the last year – These are not important receipts. They’re for little things like gum or crackers I bought at the store. Whenever I buy something I stuff the receipt in my purse and only get around to cleaning them out when I realize my purse is full of them.
(5) A little notebook and pen – I never know when I’m going to have an idea for stories I’m working on. Most of the time I jot the idea down in my phone. If I don’t write the idea down immediately, it slips away.
- What is your writing process? Are you a plotter or a panster?
I’m a total panster. I start the story with a one-sentence idea. I have a general idea about what my heroine looks like and her characteristics. I usually spend a couple hours looking through baby name websites trying to find the perfect name for her. Once I have her name, I sit down and start typing away.
Once I get my pages done for the day, I spend a lot of time daydreaming about the story, trying to figure out what happens next. I usually have a vague idea of what will happen in a scene, but often my characters surprise me. Often they do things I don’t approve of, and they sometimes force me to write myself into a corner. But I truly love that my characters seem to have minds of their own. And I also love that I don’t know what’s going to happen until I write it.
- Describe your book to us in five words or less:
Drama, violence, romance, drama, drama.
- What are some fun facts you can share about the characters from your book or the world you created for it? (3 or more?)
(1) The story is a mash-up of fantasy and horror. I took known paranormal elements and gave them my own spin.
(2) In Awakening, banshees are bound souls that are used by the death dealers as weapons.
(3) There are three rituals you have to go through to gain the Death Arts. In the second ritual, you get tied to a chair and possessed by a spirit.
(4) In the later books of the series, a demon in the story has hellhounds for pets and likes to carry around a burnt, broken porcelain doll.
- Do you have a special story behind your inspiration for the book?
I always loved writing, but I got sick and was too sick to write for a few years. When I was finally well enough to write again I started working on the Dark Rituals series. Working on the books was such a crazy, awesome experience. I loved the challenge. I loved the hard work. I loved having these characters roaming around in my head every day. I call them the Scooby gang.
- Can you tell us a little bit more about the book than what we know from the synopsis?
Colina, my heroine, never gives up. No matter how dire or dark the situation is, she keeps going, keeps fighting, keeps doing her best to survive.
I write because it helps keeps the darkness away and reminds me that there is magic in the world. I live with one husband, two dogs, and a cat named Shitty Kitty in a small mining town in Arizona. At night this place is definitely spooky. I swear I’ve heard the wind giggle, and sometimes there’s a very odd breeze. Luckily, I love all things that go bump in the night. I adore old movies. I’m a huge Joss Whedon fan.
I’ve been known to eat pizza and cold Chinese food for breakfast, and I’m the queen of the board game Stratego. I’ve never been beaten. NEVER!
Connect with the author:
Win a set of print books: AWAKENING, POSSESSION and REVENANT by Catrina Burgess (US Only)
If you like what you read above, please follow using one (or more) of the social media sites in the sidebar!
Disclaimer: Thank you to Fantastic Flying Book Club for providing the synopsis, cover photo, author information, and more. None of these belong to us.