At Water’s Edge (The Water Rushes #1)
By: S. McPherson
Publisher: S. McPherson Books
Publication Date: November 10th, 2015
At Water’s Edge tells the tale of a seventeen year old girl in England who falls in love with an eighteen year old boy from another world. A case of mistaken identity, lost portals and battling empires leads to an adventure between worlds, centered around love, loss and magic.
I suppose my life began the night it almost ended. The night I fled down Cuckilbury Mountain and his outstretched hand pulled me through a portal and into his world of magic and empires.
But my journey to his side will end in one of two ways; with my return or with my demise. There are rumours of a gem; a way for us to exist in the same realm but no one knows if these rumours are true or just things of legend.
Now that I’ve found him though, it seems unbearable to exist in a world where he does not.
They say love can cross oceans but can it cross worlds?
1) If you emptied out your purse, wallet, desk drawer, pockets, backpack, beach bag, saddle bag, or fanny pack, what would we find?
You would find old receipts, lipstick and/or balm, discarded coins, moisturiser, three different pens, a notebook and mismatched earrings.
2) What is your writing process? Are you a plotter or a panster?
I wasn’t actually familiar with those statements until recently but having discovered them, I’d say I was a combination. I often start writing based on an idea or an intriguing scene/ sentence (pantser)- This is actually how my current book ‘At Water’s Edge’ began – but as the story progresses I begin to plan a direction and jot future events down (plotter).
3) What are some fun facts you can share about the characters from your book or the world you created for it that may or may not have made it to the final draft of the book?
- When they are late for school (which is often), Lexovia will fly and Milo will teleport there to cut down travel time.
- Collin is Lexovia’s high school crush.
- Aulock Peak; the place where auras shine, was originally where criminals were taken for interrogation. The colour of their aura determined whether they were innocent or guilty.
4) Do you have a special story behind your inspiration for the book?
I have always dreamed of other worlds and wild romance. When the first scene of seeing shimmers over water and the need to escape, popped into my head, the story took off from there. And I suppose the something special behind my inspiration was all the great authors I have read and my wild imagination.
5) what is your number one writing tip?
Always rewrite and don’t be afraid to cut out scenes. Never stick to the first few drafts. It’s amazing how much better the story gets each time.
S. McPherson is a young British expat living in Dubai and working as a kindergarten teacher. When she is not at work immersed in a world of imagination and fantasy created by the children, she is immersed in her own worlds of imagination and fantasy at home, dreaming up tales and writing them down. At Water’s Edge is S. McPherson’s début novel and the first in the romantic, fantasy series, The Water Rushes.
If you like what you read above, please follow using one (or more) of the social media sites in the sidebar!
Disclaimer: The synopsis and cover picture were pulled from the book’s Goodreads page. Neither belong to us.